Having grown up on a dairy farm, I had early experience with “stuckness.” I have stuck tractors and trucks of various sizes on many occasions. I even have friends from that time who still accuse me of getting them stuck. I do not believe their perspective on those past events is accurate, yet they persist.
Being stuck was no fun because it usually entailed a long walk for help, additional resources like a bigger truck or tractor to pull us out, loss of time, and at times money. You did, however, know you were stuck and how to get out of the mud.
While you may not have the kind of experience I had on the dairy farm with “stuckness,” everyone has been stuck in life. In life, stuckness is not always as easy to recognize, nor is clarity regarding what it takes to get moving again.
Some indicators of being stuck in life may include:
- Lack of Direction – When a person lacks direction in life, decisions are more difficult. Without a clearly defined future, any path will do and any future must be acceptable. Living life in this manner involves risk. By the time you recognize you do not want to be where you are, it is too late to change it.
- Lack of Meaning – When activities and relationships have little or no meaning life becomes mundane and common. If what one does day to day does not matter, then what does? Research shows that having a sense of purpose in work and life is important to people.
- Stress and Weariness – Life takes a lot of work, but when one works at life in a manner that does not provide a fulfilling return on the investment it can be wearying. Whether at work, as family, or as a volunteer, being drained by relationships and responsibilities is unhealthy.
I did not like getting stuck on the farm, but I really don’t like being stuck in life. Beyond that, I do not like to see others stuck in life. My work on the Trevolutionary LeadershipTM System: Self Leadership allows me to equip people to keep moving in life.
For instance in the course participants:
- Develop a personal vision statement, representing a future that is better than today, even when today is meaningful.
- Discover a mission that clarifies who you are, why you exist, and the difference you will make if you achieve success.
- Learn to live a balanced life, which includes making sure personal needs are met as you fulfill responsibilities and meet the needs of others.
Those who have completed our Self Leadership Course describe it as transformational. People who completed it almost a decade ago still comment on how it continues to serve them.
As a result of interest expressed by many individuals, we will be offering the Trevolutionary Leadership System: Self Leadership Course this spring in the Austin, Texas area. If you would like information on how to participate, click here or call us.